By Al Giovetti
Release:March 3, 1999
Support The Computer Show. Please click on this ad!
Heros of Might and Magic III (3)
HEROES III is a turn-based strategy game, set up in a classical role-playing game Environment. It involves capturing and
developing towns, gathering resources, assembling armies and sending them into combat. Each town has a theme and can only
raise the type of creatures appropriate to that theme.
The resources (gold, wood, ore, gems, crystal, mercury, and sulfur) can be found mostly in mines and are gathered once a day. They are used to build new buildings in your towns, to improve existing buildings, to buy armies, etc. Each army is led by a hero and consists of up to seven stacks of creatures raised in towns or recruited in countryside. The armies are sent into tactical combat, which can occur either in countryside or in towns. If the attacker captures the town, the winner can recruit the creatures raised in that town afterwards. Each game scenario (regular or campaign style) has its own objective which can vary from capturing a specific castle, defeating a specific hero or monster,
gathering gold, or finding the Holy Grail (just to name a few).
The game bears some similarity to Heroes of Might and Magic II, but it has been vastly re- vamped. HEROES III is set in the same world as HEROES II and MM6 and continues the story-line of those two games. It is set in another country (Erathia) however, so there will be some significant differences between HEROES III and HEROES II.
Players of Heroes of Might and Magic, and Heroes II, will find the game has
been vastly expanded. New features include:
- More Town Types. There are now eight town types.
- * More Hero Types. Each town type now has two hero types - one of might
and the other of magic. This brings the total number of hero types up to sixteen.
- * More Skills. Heroes may increase their abilities in 28 secondary skills.
- * More Artifacts. There are now 128 artifacts.
- * More Spells. There are now 64 spells arranged into four schools of magic.
- * More Creature Types. There are now a total of 118 creature types.
- * More and Enhanced Town Structures.
- * More and Enhanced Adventure Objects. There are 25% more Adventure Map
locations and objects in this game. Objects are more configurable in the Map Editor.
- * Subterranean Map Layer. Heroes may enter passageways to explore
caverns and tunnels.
- * Grail Buildings. You may now seek the Grail instead of ultimate
artifacts. Finding the Grail allows you to construct special Grail
buildings which greatly increase and enhance a town's economic output
and other town variables.
- * Graphic Resolution Increased. The game now displays in 800x600, 16-bit
resolution, resulting in a richer, more detailed display.
- * Game Graphics Rendered in 3D. All non-interface graphic elements and
game objects have been modeled and rendered in 3D.
- * Larger Adventure Map Display. The Adventure Map now displays 44% more
of the world at a glance.
- * New Terrain Types. New types of terrain have been added, including a
variety of road types, each with their own effects on movement and combat.
- * Battlefield Size Increased. The combat battlefield is now 15 x 11
hexes, a 67% increase!
- * Heroes Command More Creature Stacks. Heroes can now have seven stacks
in their army.
- * New War Machines. Each town has a blacksmith where one of three war
machines may be purchased. War machines appear on the battlefield and
may be attacked and destroyed.
- * Heroes Can Arrange Stacks on Battlefield before Battle. Heroes with
the secondary skill, Tactics, can rearrange stacks on the battlefield
before the first round of combat.
- * Heroes Can Lead Garrisoned Armies. Individual heroes may now lead
creatures in a town's garrison.
- * Heroes "Ghost" When Passing Behind Tall Adventure Screen Objects.
Objects, like trees and mountains, that would normally hide heroes now
- * Mini-Quests and Quest Log. Now, you can participate in non-mission
essential quests to gain experience or items.
- * Taverns. Heroes are now recruited at taverns instead of castles.
- * Paper Doll Inventory System. Now heroes must outfit themselves with an
item before they can benefit from it.
- * Flying Creatures Have Movement Range Limits.
- * Six Mini-Campaigns
- * Enhanced Multiplayer Features.
Cheats, Hints, Walkthrough
Heroes of Might and Magic III (3) Cheats
Put your review right here by emailing us the text.
- Official 3DO HEROES III Web Site
- Daltim's Heroes 3 page
- The Nether Gods
- The Astral Wizard
- HoMM3 Unleashed
- Gamespot HoMM3 Preview
- Dungeons Keeper