The Dame was Loaded is made by Beam International Pty Ltd. This walkthru is based on the Australian PC CDROM release (which I
believe is identical to the US CDROM release and probably identical to the Philips CD-I version)
- You start at your desk. The wooden box to your right is a storage location I didn't find a use for the ring inside, but you can store other things in here. On your desk is a picture of Angela, a camera, and a fountain pen. The typewriter is your control panel.
- Take the picture of Angela.
- Click on the left side of the screen, where the cursor turns into an arrow. This is your partner Ralph Spencer. Talk to him and he'll suggest a few things, mentioning Jake's.
- Grab a cigarette from the pack at the front of Ralph's desk.
- There's also a plunger hanging from the sink that can be taken, as well as a dirty postcard - neither were really needed. Look at the calendar above
- sink - today's date.
- You have to go out the front door, where the landlord is waiting. He wants $150 (see your online notes), but you can stall him by giving him only $50.
- This leaves you with $64.95, and you'll need to raise the rest within 7 days or you get kicked out (which won't necessarily keep you from
- But, you'll also have to spend money during the course of the case, so you'll need more than just $100.
- Exit out the front door (or back) and Anger goes to his car. The horn and radio work here, but what's really important is the glove compartment and the trunk latch. By clicking on the trunk latch to the left of the radio,
- Anger goes back to the car trunk - a place where you can store things (take what you want to put into the trunk out of your inventory first).
By clicking on the glove compartment, Anger opens his map. When you start the game, Scott knows about these locations:
first map page:
Mac's Barber Shop
Police Station (Officer Denton)
Newspaper Office (Frankie)
second map page:
Boarding House (forget going here, it's just for reference)
third map page:
Client (forget going here until the end of the game)
- If you click on the map where nothing is marked, you go back to the car view. When you're in the car, you can step back outside (to where you just were) by moving the arrow to the left side of the screen, near the steering wheel.
- Open the map and click on the Barber Shop to drive there
Barber Shop (12:30 pm)
- Read the paper on the bench:
Mayor Announces New Crime Reform
- Click on chair to get a shave
note the comment about Periwig (a race horse) and the phone call
(Mac is a bookie)
Note that you can grab the hair on the floor here. You don't need it
for awhile, so don't bother.
- Mac is very closed-lip; asking questions about the case will get you
- Go to ......
Meg's Diner ( 1:00 pm)
- Click on the menu and choose the donuts.
- Click on the coffee to drink it and the donuts to eat the first donut.
Your next stop is the Police Station, so hold onto that second donut.
- Click on the receipt in the upper left corner to pay the bill
- Go back to the counter view. I saw no value to leaving a tip, so just
- Go back to the car and drive over to ....
Police Station (1:45 pm)
- Ask about Dan Klein - never heard of him
- Ask about Angela Donald
- Give picture of Dan Klein to Denton
Dan Klein is known around town as Dan Small (Klein...Small..get
- Ask about Dan Small and Denton gets testy
- Give donut to Denton and he leaves the room to get some coffee
- Grab the raid roster in the box on the right
Clubs to be raided on August 1...including Jake's "Dog Alley" club
- Be sure roster is in inventory before Denton comes back
- When he returns, ask Denton about Dan Small again
low life, hangs around with bad crowd
- Head out and go to ....
Newspaper Office ( 3:00 pm)
- Ask Frankie about Dan Small and Angela Donald - no real info
- Click on back door (the morgue)
- Ask morgue about Dan Small - no info
- Go back to office
- NOTE: Whenever Scott drops his hat, pick it up. If you fail to do this
later in the game, you'll pay for it with his life.
- At 6:00 pm, head to Jake's Joint ("Dog Alley")
- You start with Jake's "speakeasy" door.
- Knock on it to get Jake to come to the door.
- Do Jake a favor and give him the raid roster from the Police Station.
- Inside, you meet your poker buddies: G-G, Mickey, and Red Randall
- This is where you can earn money, by playing poker.
- This is also where you can get info about what's going on around
town - but you have to play a round of poker to ask a question.
- To start a poker game, Click on your wallet and drop a buck into
the pile of cash on the table.
- After a round, ask about Dan Small and you learn a new name - Freddi
- After the next round, ask about Freddi Creel - crushed in crusher.
- When done, head back to the office and go to sleep on the couch
Day 2 - 7:00 am
- read paper - heat wave
- get shave - Mac mentions Creel
- get donut
- Ask morgue about Freddi Creel - killed on June 15
You learn about O'Brian's Foundry, Thumbs McKenzie, and
Creel's widow Louise Creel
- Ask morgue about Thumbs McKenzie
Pal of Freddy's, currently in the jail
- Ask Frankie about
Louise Creel - closed-mouth
- Ask about Freddi Creel
- Ask about Thumbs McKenzie - caught at Creel's murder site.
- Go to Louise Creel's apartment (map 2)
- Click on door knocker
- Ask Mrs. Creel about
Freddi - doesn't know what he did for a living
Thumbs - said Freddi owed him money
Dan Small - don't like him. Associate of husband.
She then asks who hired Scott
Angela Donald - Louise Creel's sister, different fathers.
They didn't like each other
- Give Louise Angela's picture
- Give Louise Dan Klein's picture
- Move cursor to the left side so Scott can look at the room
NOTE: This is going to be a timed event, so you have to be (reasonably)
- On the fireplace mantle is a reddish blob that is a decanter of liquor
- Click on it and Louise will leave.
- Go back to the couch view and open her purse on the couch
She'll notice if most things are gone, but you can grab a hairpin
- Exit the screen and quickly go back to the left room view.
- Grab the painting above the fireplace and you'll find a safe.
- Click on the safe to get a close-up view, then click on the screen
bottom to go back.
- Click on the painting again to put it back.
- Click on the crystal cabinet to the left of the fireplace.
If you open it now, you'll get caught.
- Go back and wait for Louise to come back.
- Once she leaves,
- Click on the crystal closet and use the hairpin on the lock.
- Grab the brown box in the back and exit the closeup.
- Put box on the small cigarette stand to the left of the crystal
- Note the background where Louise is standing.
- Put the box back in the cabinet and wait until Louise comes back
- She'll check her bag but won't notice the missing hairpin.
- (alternately, to get to the cigar case or into the safe (once you have
combo, you can go back and talk to your partner Ralph - he'll offer to
call her (automatically) next time you visit, to keep Louise out of
- You now know about a bank - The First National.
- Ask Louise about the diamond robbery there.
- Exit and head to....
Jail (map 3)
- Thumbs will dummy up, until you give him the cigarette
- Ask about
Dan Small - he, Freddi, and Thumbs pulled a job together
First National - might know something about that.
Find Dan Small and we'll have a chat
Freddi - tried to chisel me out of my part of the loot. Said to meet him, but he was dead when I got there.
Louise - sister of Angela
Thumbs - I was set up
- Give Thumbs the photo of Dan
- Give Thumbs photo of Angela - Dan's girl
- Exit. So....who really did kill Freddie Creel and why?
Foundry closes at 4:30 - I was too late
- Ask about First National - no clues, and a lot of diamonds
- Exit and open trunk
- Get the tire iron out of the trunk.
- After 6 pm Jake's Joint
- Ignore Jake but play poker.
- Ask about
First National - we don't know nothing about that
Thumbs - Said he had a score to settle.
Give picture of Dan - they all call him Dan Small instead of Dan
- Go back to office and sleep on couch
Day 3 - New Day
- Head out to the Foundry (you lose $1)
- Click on reddish lever on two bronze disks on left of cage
this is the lever for triggering the crusher
NOTE: Do NOT operate this unless crusher cage is closed!
- Click on the cage to open the crusher
- On the bottom of the crusher is a loose board that can be examined.
- You'll see something red.
- Click on it and you see that Scott's fingers can't reach it
- You need something long and thin.
- Try the tire iron....too thick.
- But, exit the close-up
- Put the tire iron into the crusher, close the door and flip the
- Open the cage, grab the flattened tire iron and use it to remove a
from that loose board.
- Go to car, put tire iron in trunk and get wrench if you don't have it
Palm Tree Motel (map 2)
- Ask clerk about Dan Small
- Show Dan's picture to clerk
- Give him $10 and his memory returns
Dan was in room 11, about a month ago.
- Give him another $14 to pay Dan's bill and you can examine his
- Take stethoscope
- Take picture of Dan and Angela - examine it once it's in your
- Exit close-up and clerk says he knows something...but can't remember
- Give him $2
- Another P.I - Carl Brewer - was asking around about Freddy.
- Click on keys behind clerk - room 11 is occupied.
- Go up stairs.
- Knock on room 11's door.
- Click on his face with your P.I's license
(or use the camera from your desk).
- When you wake up (you get knocked out for 2 hours), the room is now
unoccupied (if you use the camera, it's busted - it isn't needed
- You can either use the hairpin to enter the room, or pay for the key
- Note that the hairpin can only be used three times before it will
Hotel Room 11
- Click on the light switch to the right of the closet (& below the
- Something up in the lamp shade. Walk over to the left and move the
- Now go back to the right and click on the ceiling lamp and you get a
locker key #29B.
- Move the bed back and go to the left.
- Flip the switch to the right of the bathroom door.
- Go into the bathroom.
- The sink is stopped up - use the plunger from your office sink if you
have it (not essential).
- Use the wrench on the pipe underneath the sink and you'll get a
- This ties Freddy in with the First National Bank diamond theft.
- Exit room, drop off key with clerk, and exit to car.
- Open map - you now have locations for Carl Brewer's office and Railway
- Use locker key on 2nd door from the left, on the top.
- Inside you find a small book with some odd numbers and letters
the last page is significant.
- F.C stands for Freddy Creel - this is his safe's combo.
- The combo is FC: L-5 R-8 L-1 which translates to:
Turn the lock left 5 times
Then turn the lock right 8 times
Then turn the lock left 1 times
- This locker can be used to store things, although there is a really
good chance you could lose it all later. Nothing that will prevent you
from finishing, though.
- It wouldn't hurt to wait here, so you can check Louise Creel's door until she's not home (knock twice to be sure). Then you can use the hairpin on the lock, and open the safe. Top open the safe, move the picture over the fireplace, click on the safe to get close, and use the stethoscope on the safe. You should now have an arrow on either side of the safe dial. Per Dan Small's notebook, click on the left side 5 times, then on the right side 8 times and then once again on the left. Inside the safe is an insurance form on Freddy Creel.
- This isn't germane to the case, but adds useful color on Louise's personality - especially later.
- Ask about Carl Brewer and you learn he's dead (Scott apparently already knew that)
- Ask about First National - held up by 3 men, diamonds never found.
- Ask morgue about
Carl Brewer - last person to talk to him was his landlord
First National - 3 goons held up bank & robbed them of diamonds. Just as police showed up, so did 6 other armed goons. These 6 were arrested and are now in jail.
- After you ask about First National, Frankie kicks you out.
- Waiting in the car are two goons (if you've seen safe and cigar box, and have found diamond).
- They take you to ....
- When you wake up, click on the map to get a closer view.
- Click on it again to flip it over.
- When you wake up, send them somewhere.
- Once Dumb Charlie and Smart Charlie leave,
- Click on the step to stand up,
- Click on the step again to go forward.
- Examine the red box - a fire alarm that works by breaking the glass.
- Go forward twice more to get closer to the alarm (and glass!).
- Now click on the alarm button 3 times so Scott rocks close enough to break the glass.
- Click down at the bottom of the screen and you'll see glass.
- Click on the piece closest to his right hand.
- Take the crumpled map.
- Click on the brown box on the left and take a bottle of whiskey.
- Exit warehouse.
- note from Louise.
- Ralph tells you that the case you were going to be on was given to Pinkerton's Agency, so you now have more time for your current
case. However, there was a break-in here ...guess what's missing. Right - anything useful, like the diamond
5:45 pm Go to Louise's
- Her place has been ransacked - she says by Big Joel Jones.
- The cigar box is missing
- The safe is open (yep, those goons took Dan Small's book) the safe is empty
- NOTE: (if you had already cracked the safe, you know there was some jewelry _and_ a life insurance policy on Freddy Creel there).
- Click on the back door to go into....
- Get photo that spilled out of blue jewelry box in lower left Freddy and your poker buddy G-G. G-G is a gambler.
- Click twice on fur in back - silver fox fur
- Click twice on hat on closet - wide brimmed hat
- Click on yellow blobs on right side nightstand - Scott takes sewing kit
- Go back to main room and ask Louise about
Big Joel Jones - said he had unfinished business with Freddy. Wanted to look around the apartment
G-G - associate of Freddy's
Dan Small - he was Freddy's friend
Angela Donald - I don't know anything about her death. Possibly related to this case
First National - Don't know anything about diamonds
- Show her picture of G-G and Freddy
- Red Randall is missing from game
- Ask about
Big Joel Jones: runs this town. A racketeer. 1 in 3 crooks works for him...(notice where they look)
Angela Donald - let her go, or you might join her
First National - diamonds stolen and no one's found them
- Show 'em Freddy and G-G shot -
- go back to office and go to sleep.
- FROM NOW ON, ALWAYS PICK UP YOUR HAT WHEN IT FALLS OFF THE HATRACK
- When you awaken, you get kidnappers' note:
they have Frankie and want diamonds within 5 days
- Put the ransom note in the desk box (you won't need it).
- Pick up fountain pen out of holder on left side of desk
- Read paper
- Thumbs is dead, killed by same 6 guys that showed up at bank
after diamond heist.
- Grab some of the hair on the floor between the chair and Mac
- Get a shave - Mac comments on your bruises
- He gets a call betting on a horse called Periwig - odds are 28:1
- Get a donut
- Answer "Diamonds" and Denton promised to have the warehouse checked out (the next time you come here, he'll say they found nothing at the warehouse)
- After giving him the donut, click on the box on the right
- List of raids of off-track betting shops, including Mac the
- When he comes back, ask Denton about
Joel Jones - owns part of the force
Thumbs - Frankie's article got him killed.
- You get kicked out after asking about Thumbs
- Click on drawer on right
- Click on large makeup container - Scott hides his bruises
- Grab gun and laundry ticket
- Click on phone to call the morgue
Ask about Joe Jones - get address of Blue Angel club and mansion
Ask again - has hunting cabin, but no address known
- Now that Frankie isn't here to stop you, ask about Angela Donald
Angela was sole witness to arson of Sweet Dreams club, which
burned down. The Blue Angel club built on same location.
- Ask about Frankie - went with a big guy and a little guy in a green sedan. Something about fresh mountain air. NOTE: If you know about the description of Angela's death from Denton, I believe Scott will realize this is the same car used when Angela was killed.
- Ask about 1st National - diamonds stolen on June 15th. one bandit wore a brown jacket with leather patches. Man in brown had the diamonds.
- NOTE: If you broke into Carl Brewer's office, you don't need to deal with the laundry ticket
Here's the basic scenario for Brewer's office
Carl Brewer's office
- Brewer's door is locked. If you ring the buzzer on the side of the door, you know he's not there.
- There's nothing in here you _need_ (you can find what you need later, somewhere else) and you'll have to use the hairpin to pick the lock
- - the hairpin has a limited life of 3 uses.
- Inside are three items, including a tuxedo in the closet on the left (the other items might be useful, but I didn't need them)
- However, I'm taking the alternate route, which involves getting the tuxedo via the laundry ticket so I didn't go into Carl's office.
- Look at the laundry ticket - the '10' is written in red ink.
Red Dragon Laundry (map 1)
- Give the man the laundry ticket and you get a dress.
- Note that there is also a tuxedo (although I can't figure out how you're supposed to know this) here and a yellow-green bellhop's.
- Go back to car.
Mickey (middle poker player) is in the car. Both G-G and Red have been nervous since this case started
- Ask about
Joel Jones - owns cops. Has two goons: Smart Charlie and Dumb Charlie.
G-G - very jumpy. Been asking about you
Red Randall - Don't trust him
1st National - No one's tried to sell them yet
Thumbs - Thumbs & company heard about diamonds and pulled heist before other gang could.
- Click on closet and put dress in there.
- Click on the dress and choose the left icon - Wear.
- Scott finds Frankie's notebook and learn about the Blue Angel Club.
- Take the dress.
- Talk to Ralph - I played the second choice (I don't know if first choice is really an option, but it might be).
- Put Frankie's notebook in storage - you won't need it again.
Red Dragon Laudry
- Give back the dress - you get Ticket 10 again (and lose a quarter).
- Put ticket on desk.
- Fill your fountain pen with the red ink in the middle bottle on the right
- Click on the ticket with the pen and choose 20 - the tuxedo (I'm cheating here, because I've know I need it for the Blue Angel
- Click on the glue bottle in the upper left with the hair from Mac's and you make and wear a mustache
Red Dragon Laundry
- Give ticket 20 and get tuxedo
Blue Angel Club 4:40 pm
- Old location of Sweet Dreams nightclub Closed
- If you wait until 7 pm and then go back in, you can get in the back.
- With no moustache, you get punched out. If you have the mustache on, you don't get hit but if you don't have the tux on or didn't have a shaved that morning you're told to leave. For now, just leave.
- If you go back to the office before 5 pm, Ralph leaves and is shot out in the alley, telling you with his dying breath that he was shot by
someone wearing a brown jacket with leather patches. You can take his gun and keys, but do it quick before the cops get you as they'll get mad if they find a gun on you. If you learned about the 1st National diamond heist info at the police station, Scott might link the brown coat.
- If you stay away from the office, then two policemen tell you about Ralph being gunned down when you return - you'll get his keys, but not his gun (which you don't need). Either way, you spend two hours at the police station.
- Back at the office, Scott guzzles down the whiskey bottle and passes out.
- Go to the closet view and click on it. Put the tux in the closet and
try to wear it - the trousers need to be stitched up.
- Using the sewing kit from Louise's, it's a snap.
- But, since it's morning, he can't wear the tux.
- Exit the closeup and look at Ralph's desk.
- Use Ralph's keys on the green filing cabinet (once).
- Look up:
Angela - singer at Sweet Dreams, which burned down on June 15th.
Red-headed man left club via back door before fire.
On June 18th, a green sedan with 2 men in it shot Angela.
- Read paper - Ralph's death
- Ask about Ralph
- Give Raid Roster to Mac
- Although you're wearing mustache, get a shave (or you won't get into
Blue Angel Club)
- Get more hair off the floor
- Ask about Ralph - goes to get file on Angela
- Click on the evidence box
- Click on the matches - Sweet Dreams matches
- Click on paper - tenement fire in building owned by Joel Jones.
Red-haired man seen standing around, enjoying the
One of the bodies was Mickey Murphy, your poker
- Grab lump of charcoal at bottom of box
- When Denton comes back with file
3 .44 caliber bullets found in wall.
- Witness saw woman, wearing silver fox fur and large hat, running
from the scene.
- Ask about
Mickey Murphy - gas bomb set off fire
- Make another mustache (makeup is still ok)
- Ask copyboy (morgue) about:
Mickey Murphy - died in Aug 4th fire
Office 6 pm
- Wear tux by clicking on it and choosing the left icon ( if you haven't
used the sewing kit from Louise's back room, do that now)
- With your tux, makeup, and mustache, go to
Blue Angel Club.
- Wait until 7pm (when it turns dark) and exit the car and you'll get
- Open Janitor closet and wear janitor's jumper suit
- Click on dark, burnt area to left of door if you didn't get any
charcoal in the evidence box at the police station. You can get a
- Click on office door
- NOTE: You have only a limited time before you will be caught -
if you're fast, you get away _Scott_ free (pun intended!)
- Here you meet the esteemed Joel Jones
- Note 3 pictures behind desk - one is a cabin called Pinewood
- Open filing cabinet
Angela - Sweet Dreams was losing money
Red Randall - receipt for "consulting" work as a wrecker - keep
G-G - real name: Ashley
Francine - a file of all her stories on him
Thumbs - wasn't on Jones' payroll.
- Click on desk
Use charcoal on white notepad - racing tip. Take it.
- Exit Club and go to
- G-G's there by himself, on the run. Will sell info for right price
- Ask about anything and he clams up.
- Give him racing tip from Club Office - you're now set up to meet him
here tomorrow night.
- As always, be sure to pick up the hat when it falls.
- This time, it will be shot at.
- Remove tux by clicking on the inside of the closet, then take it.
Day 5, August 4
- Makeup and mustache have worn off
9:00 am Newspaper
- Ask copyboy about Joel Jones again now that you know more about the
- If you get to the newspaper early enough (it takes 6 hours), you'll
have enough time to find the address for the cabin. Else, come
When you do, you'll now have a new address on map 3.
Try Louise Creel's 4:30 pm
- Ask about
6 pm Jake's Joint
- G-G stays just long enough to tell you that there's someone at the
Seville, room 78 that you want to talk to. (now have Seville on map
- If you try to get in without a mustache, the manager calls the house
detective and you're thrown out. If you have a mustache or no
you are asked to leave. You must be clean-shaven, have makeup to
your bruises, and be wearing a bellhop's uniform (I could have
and got it earlier, but Scott had no reason to want it so I didn't
- Go to sleep back at the office
Red Dragon Laundry
- Give tux back to man and you get dress
- Give dress back to get another Ticket 10
- Get shave (don't get hair to make mustache)
Newspaper 9:00 am
- Use makeup again
- Put ticket on desk and use pen on it - choose #18 - bellhop
NOTE: If you rescue Frankie before changing the laundry ticket,
you can still sit at her desk _sometimes_. You'll have to
keep checking her office until she's not there. And the only
place I found to modify the ticket is her desk.
10:00 am Head to Big Joel's Cabin
- Drive to cabin - car crashes but you end up there anyway.
- Click on wall to right of door to change your view
- Click on Frankie's hair and you get hairpin and pick locks
- Click below fireplace, on floor, to turn view back
- Grab the bear trap on wall just to left of window, then use the trap
on the window
- Quickly, click to right of the door so that you're hidden from view
when the goon comes in within a second or two later
- Big Joel is arrested
Now 5:15 Go to Red Dragon Laundry
- Give the counter man Ticket 18 and you get the bellhop uniform
Back to office (save Temp)
- Knock at door - it's the landlord looking for his $100. If you don't
have it, or you blow him off, you'll be told you're being thrown
in 3 days (no loss). I didn't have enough money in either of the
games I played.
At 6:00 pm, go to Jakes Joint
- Red Randall is here
- Ask about Red Randall - he spouts off and says there's no evidence
- Give him Red's Receipt and he's arrested
Back at office, it's now 8 pm.
- Put bellhop uniform in closet, then click on it to wear it.
- In lobby, without mustache but with shave, bellhop uniform, and
to cover the bruises, you're given the passkey and head upstairs
- Use key on door's lock (above knob)
- Once again, you have a limited time.
- Click on the closet on the left
- Click on the brown jacket twice
- If you were at office when Ralph got shot, you'll make
connection to his murderer.
- Click on the nightstand in the lower right
- Click on Oregon directory - falls open to the Smalls
- Take postal receipt
- Click on nightstand on other side of bed just to note bullets
- Click on bathroom door
- You need to hide - click on curtain
- Now wait until curtain opens
you'll first hear someone enter the apartment and then they'll
come into the bathroom.
- When the curtain opens, quickly punch the guy in the face by
clicking on his head (not body!).
(If you do it wrong, he escapes and you get arrested)
- Use shaving kit (on wooden box next to tub) on man to discover he
is really Freddy Creel
Exit the hotel room
- Freddy Creel is booked on Dan Klein/Small's murder
- When Mrs Klein shows up
I gave the money back
- Ask about
Angela - you learn why Brewer was on the case.
1st National - she leaves diamonds on floor, by desk
- Click on bottom of screen when done
- Change to view of desk/closet/couch and get box of diamonds
Go to car - Louise jumps in
- She can't be trusted - click on her door
- Quickly click on her purse to grab her gun
- Your call:
is she unaware of what went on (click on the door)
or part of the scheme (click on the steering wheel)?
- Either way, take the diamonds to Denton at the Police Station
- For me, the ideal ending was that Scott decides to take Denton's
and go vacation up in Oregon.... near a former client.
If that's your choice, there's a map location for that.
- Copyright 1996 by Dave Timoney. All rights reserved.
Permission is given by the author for distribution of this file for
non-profit means, as long as the file is un-modified. Further rights
of distribution require contacting the author.
Please send us your comments and suggestions.